To ensure that effective systems for ensuring transparency, accountability and low fiduciary.
The core functions of the department:
- Evaluating the effectiveness of internal control system and ascertain whether they are functioning.
- Carrying out spot checks on areas such as revenue and Appropriation in Aid.
- Reviewing and evaluating the reliability and integrity of record keeping.
- Reviewing budgetary reallocation process to ensure legislative and administrative compliance.
- Ensuring that revenue, AIA and other receipts due to the government are collected and banked promptly
- Carrying out a pre-audit of all documents used in initiating commitment and expenditure and in effecting
- payments such as AIE's, LPO's and contract agreements.
- Reviewing and pre-auditing Annual Appropriation Accounts, Fund Accounts and annual audited statements.
- Ensuring that the government's physical assets, plant and equipment, supplies, stores etc are appropriately recorded in the relevant registers and are kept under safe custody.
- Reporting on the results of audit work and recommendations to the Permanent Secretary.